Monday 20 December 2021

Walter Egan: "Magnet and Steel"

This song by a one-hit-wonder artist was a refuge for us listeners who hated seventies disco. It's about a man  attracted irresistibly to a woman. Check the song out here.

As any child learns in science class, magnets only attract iron and nickel. Try picking up copper or aluminium and it just won't work.

Because God chose certain people before the dawn of time to be his, we have an affinity to his rule in our lives. As Christ told his disciples, and us too, in John 15:16 (BBE), "You did not take me for yourselves, but I took you for myself; and I gave you the work of going about and producing fruit which will be for ever; so that whatever request you make to the Father in my name he may give it to you."

Paul also pointed out how believers were chosen long before energy and matter were created. Ephesians 1:3 and 4 (BBE) reads, "Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has given us every blessing of the Spirit in the heavens in Christ: Even as he made selection of us in him from the first, so that we might be holy and free from all evil before him in love:"

And though Christ said this to his disciples, I believe he meant John 17:24 (BBE) to apply to us too. "Father, it is my desire that these whom you have given to me may be by my side where I am, so that they may see my glory which you have given to me, because you had love for me before the world came into being."

Jesus also said plainly why some people can't come to faith in him while others can. He told the Pharisees in John 6:44 (BBE) that, "No man is able to come to me if the Father who sent me does not give him the desire to come: and I will take him up from the dead on the last day."

Like predestination, those whom the Lord has chosen have iron or nickel properties of faith. Those with other metals, metaphorically speaking, can't be attracted.

If Christ doesn't pull us up like iron filings to a magnet by Christmas Eve, I hope to have a post featuring a virus alert spoof up for all to read



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment on this blog. All reasonable comments will be published.