Saturday 29 May 2021

Edwin Collins: "Guess We Were Young"

I must admit that today's rock music doesn't appeal to me. It all sounds the same. Neither do singers harmonize much anymore.

Thanks to a UK friend who sent me some free CDs which he found in his Sunday papers, I herd this song which was released in 2019. Check it out here.

Like the young lovers in the song, we all make mistakes when we're starting out in the faith. In my case, it was handing out tracts. Nobody I gave them to wanted to  read them. I wasted a fair bit of money handing those out and having them get crumpled and tossed back at me.

One biblical example is that of Simon who made a foolish request. Acts 8:18-21 (Bible in Basic English) reads, "Now when Simon saw that the Holy Spirit was given through the touch of the Apostles' hands, he made them an offering of money, saying,'Give me this power, so that when I put my hands on anyone he may get the Holy Spirit.' But Peter said, 'May your money come to destruction with you, because you had the idea that what is freely given by God may be got for a price. You have no part in this business, because your heart is not right before God.'" Since he was blind to God's generosity, the Lord blinded him for a season.

As the gospel spread, some folks hadn't yet heard about the Holy Spirit. Acts 19:4-6 (BBE) tells about a group of believers who only knew what John the Baptist taught them. "And Paul said, 'John gave a baptism which goes with a change of heart, saying to the people that they were to have faith in him who was coming after him, that is, in Jesus.' And hearing this, they had baptism in the name of the Lord Jesus. And when Paul had put his hands on them, the Holy Spirit came on them; and they had the power of talking in tongues, and acting like prophets."

Paul certainly had his hands full with one church. His first epistle to them made them sorry but it also corrected their foolish actions. We see that in 2 Corinthians 7:11 and 12 (BBE). "For you see what care was produced in you by this very sorrow of yours before God, what clearing of yourselves, what wrath against sin, what fear, what desire, what serious purpose, what punishment. In everything you have made it clear that you are free from sin in this business. So though I sent you a letter, it was not only because of the man who did the wrong, or because of him to whom the wrong was done, but so that your true care for us might be made clear in the eyes of God."

If Christ doesn't come to collect us by Monday, I hope to post about the foolishness of overconfidence.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment on this blog. All reasonable comments will be published.