Thursday 1 July 2021

Gordon Lightfoot: "Canadian Railroad Trilogy"

This artist is one of a few I know who proudly sang about Canada. The railroads opened up this land. Those who built them, mostly by hand, contended with everything from bogs to steep mountain sides. While abuses of personnel did happen, the tenacity of those railroad builders is laudable.

Listen to Gordon Lightfoots tribute to these men here:

We followers of Christ owe our inclusion in his family to faithful followers. As Jude 1:3 (Bible in Basic English) says, "My loved ones, while my thoughts were full of a letter which I was going to send you about our common salvation, it was necessary for me to send you one requesting you with all my heart to go on fighting strongly for the faith which has been given to the saints once and for ever."

We read of God's testimony of one faithful man in Numbers 12:6 and 7 (BBE). "And he said, 'Now give ear to my words: if there is a prophet among you I will give him knowledge of myself in a vision and will let my words come to him in a dream. My servant Moses is not so; he is true to me in all my house:'"

When unfaithful priests blackened the name of God with their wickedness, the Lord deposed them and put in a new one. As he said in 1 Samuel 2:35 (BBE), "And I will make a true priest for myself, one who will do what is in my heart and in my mind: and I will make for him a family which will not come to an end; and his place will be before my holy one for ever."

God's truth is incredibly valuable in this world of lies. In Christ's parable of the talents, Matthew 25:21 (BBE) leaves no doubt. "His lord said to him, 'Well done, good and true servant: you have been true in a small thing, I will give you control over great things: take your part in the joy of your lord.'"

If that great and wonderful day hasn't happened by Saturday, I'll post about not being stuck in the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment on this blog. All reasonable comments will be published.