Saturday 10 July 2021

The Cooper Brothers: "Show Some Emotion"

Here's another great song from the seventies. It's about a woman who protects herself by being unemotional. Listen to this song here.

There's no doubt that humans are emotional. But, like the woman in the song, we do tend to keep the world at arms length. That's understandable since some people can be cruel.

How then should we show our care for others? We read in 2 Corinthians 2:6 and 7 (Bible in Basic English) how we need to forgive those of us who went astray. "Let it be enough for such a man to have undergone the punishment which the church put on him; So that now, on the other hand, it is right for him to have forgiveness and comfort from you, for fear that his sorrow may be over-great."

Where do we get this ability to emotionally help each other? In 2 Corinthians 1:3 and 4 (BBE), we read, "Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and the God of all comfort; Who gives us comfort in all our troubles, so that we may be able to give comfort to others who are in trouble, through the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God."

In the Bible's most familiar psalm, we read how even Old Testament saints found courage. Psalm 23:4 (BBE) says, "Yes, though I go through the valley of deep shade, I will have no fear of evil; for you are with me, your rod and your support are my comfort."

Reading scriptures also gives us encouragement which we can pass on to others. Psalms 119:50 (BBE) tells us, "This is my comfort in my trouble; that your sayings have given me life."

When we find trustworthy believers to bear our emotional burdens, we can share them and feel strengthened.

If our Lord hasn't come by Monday, I hope to feature one of the best synth pop songs I've ever heard.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment on this blog. All reasonable comments will be published.