Monday 28 June 2021

Four Jacks and a Jill: "Master Jack"

I never understood this song when it was on the radio in June of 1968. The woman in the song sounded ungrateful to Master Jack for all he taught her. What I didn't understand back then is that students eventually must leave their teachers and visa versa.

Listen to the song here:

Elisha was one student who didn't want to leave his beloved teacher. We read in 2 Kings 2:11 and 12 (Bible in Basic English) when God had to separate the two men. "And while they went on their way, going on talking together, suddenly there were carriages and horses of fire separating them from one another and Elijah went up to heaven in a great wind. And when Elisha saw it he gave a cry, 'My father, my father, the carriages of Israel and its horsemen!' And he saw him no longer; and he was full of grief."

Christ's disciples were also grief-stricken when they learned of how he would leave them. John 14:25-27 (BBE) shows that he knew his disciples needed comfort. "I have said all this to you while I am still with you. But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will be your teacher in all things and will put you in mind of everything I have said to you. May peace be with you; my peace I give to you: I give it not as the world gives. Let not your heart be troubled; let it be without fear."

The Christians at Troas also felt deep sorrow when they learned they'd see Paul's face no more. Acts 20:36-38 (BBE) describes his departure. "And having said these words, he went down on his knees in prayer with them all. And they were all weeping, falling on Paul's neck and kissing him, Being sad most of all because he had said that they would not see his face again. And so they went with him to the ship."

If Christ doesn't reunite us all by Thursday, I hope to post about the importance of the past in our faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment on this blog. All reasonable comments will be published.