Monday 29 March 2021

Kraftwerk: "Computer World"

Even though desktop computers are waning in popularity, they still are useful devices. I personally like their size and having a full 101-key keyboard in front of me when I write.

In 1981, the German electronic music band Kraftwerk recorded a full album on the theme of computers and their growing role in the world. Listen to the title track of the album here:

When the Bible was being penned, the common materials used were parchment and ink.  Psalm 45:1 (Bible in Basic English) is one verse which mentions writing. "(To the chief music-maker; put to Shoshannim. Of the sons of Korah. Maschil. A Song of loves.) My heart is flowing over with good things; my words are of that which I have made for a king; my tongue is the pen of a ready writer."

Writing solidified the laws of the land and particularly of God. That's why the Lord said in Joshua 1:8 (BBE), "Let this book of the law be ever on your lips and in your thoughts day and night, so that you may keep with care everything in it; then a blessing will be on all your way, and you will do well."

Before pocket calculators, people wrote down amounts of products and payments required. Christ told a parable about a dishonest steward and how he solved his employment problem. Luke 16:4-6 (BBE) says, "'I have come to a decision what to do, so that when I am put out of my position they will take me into their houses.' And sending for every one who was in debt to his lord he said to the first, 'What is the amount of your debt to my lord?' And he said, 'A hundred measures of oil.' And he said, 'Take your account straight away and put down fifty.'" Please don't try this with your fuel bill.

Through letters in the scriptures, we get a feeling for how the various apostles lived. For example, Paul wrote in 2 Timothy 4:19-21 (BBE), "Give my love to Prisca and Aquila and those of the house of Onesiphorus. Erastus was stopping at Corinth; but Trophimus, when I last saw him was at Miletus, ill. Do your best to come before the winter. Eubulus sends you his love, and Pudens and Linus and Claudia, and all the brothers."

Thanks to an old program called Quickverse, I can find scriptures easily. Another called Bible Seeker lets me find the verses in basic English. Without them, writing my posts would be much more tedious.

If Christ delays his coming by Thursday, I hope to post about hypocrisy and a junk food junkie.

Bruce Atchison, Kraftwerk, "computer World", desktop computers, parchment, Psalms 45:1, Luke 16:4-6, Bible in Basic English, 2 Timothy 4:19-21, Quickverse, Bible Seeker


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment on this blog. All reasonable comments will be published.