Saturday 6 February 2021

Credence Clearwater Revival: "Door to Door"

This song reminds me of one of the biggest mistakes I ever made. Back in February of 1982, I became an Amway distributor. Lured by promises of wealth and self-employment, I decided to give it a try.

Listen to this song about a salesman here:

I soon found that selling products and gaining my own distributors was much harder than the glowing testimonials and motivational materials made Amway success out to be. As James 4:13 and 14 (Bible in Basic English) warns, "How foolish it is to say, 'Today or tomorrow we will go into this town, and be there for a year and do business there and get wealth:' When you are not certain what will take place tomorrow. What is your life? It is a mist, which is seen for a little time and then is gone."

I also should have realized that Amway peddled covetousness with their talk of riches and getting people to sign up under me. As Paul reminds us in 1 Timothy 6:5 (BBE) about those who tempt us, their words  are, "Bitter talk of men who, being evil in mind and dead to what is true, take the faith to be a way of making profit."

Though Amway sold products, they were still a multi-level marketing business. Many folks joined to become wealthy without realizing what Christ said in Luke 9:25 (BBE). "For what profit will a man have if he gets all the world, but undergoes loss or destruction himself?"

Many verses in the Bible tell us that honest labour must be rewarded. But as Paul warned again in 1 Timothy 6:9 (BBE), "But those who have a desire for wealth are falling into danger, and are taken as in a net by a number of foolish and damaging desires, through which men are overtaken by death and destruction."

If our Master hasn't come by Monday, I hope to post about the correct self respect we must achieve.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment on this blog. All reasonable comments will be published.