Saturday 7 November 2020

Saturday Song: Christie, "Yellow River"

What a great Vietnam-war-era song this is. In it, a soldier says his fairwells to his brothers-in-arms and looks forward to returning home.

Check out this song here:

This song reminds me of the most famous spiritual warrior: the Apostle Paul. He wrote of his race for Christ's high calling in 2 Timothy 4:7 (Bible in Basic English), the last letter he penned. "I have made a good fight, I have come to the end of my journey, I have kept the faith:"

And following his Lord's example, he worked for him until his execution. Hebrews 12:1 and 2 (BBE) tells of Christ's dedication to save all who will come to him. "For this reason, as we are circled by so great a cloud of witnesses, putting off every weight, and the sin into which we come so readily, let us keep on running in the way which is marked out for us, Having our eyes fixed on Jesus, the guide and end of our faith, who went through the pains of the cross, not caring for the shame, because of the joy which was before him, and who has now taken his place at the right hand of God's seat of power."

While we spiritual warriors look forward to being posted to heaven, we have Paul's admonishment to bear in mind in 2 Timothy 2:3 and 4 (BBE). "Be ready to do without the comforts of life, as one of the army of Christ Jesus. A fighting man, when he is with the army, keeps himself free from the business of this life so that he may be pleasing to him who has taken him into his army."

Having done so, we anticipate the end of our service in this world. Christ, our commanding officer, said in Revelation 22:12 (BBE), "See, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give to every man the outcome of his works."

If our blessed Master doesn't arrive on Monday, I hope to post about which sort of war is justified.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment on this blog. All reasonable comments will be published.