Thursday 7 May 2020

What is True Joy?

The pursuit of happiness is common to all of us. Even grumpy folks pursue the perverse joy of making others feel bad and being a martyr to whatever cause they support.

The joy which worldly folks enjoy is short. It evaporates the moment trouble looms. Job 20:4 and 5 (BBE) says, "Have you knowledge of this from early times, when man was placed on the earth, That the pride of the sinner is short, and the joy of the evil-doer but for a minute?"

We who belong to Christ have a joy which never ends. Why so? Our God is on our side, not on our backs. Psalms 5:11 (KJV) proclaims, "But let all those that put their trust in thee rejoice: let them ever shout for joy, because thou defendest them: let them also that love thy name be joyful in thee."

Just being in the Lord's presence gives us great jubilation. Psalms 16:11 (BBE) says, "You will make clear to me the way of life; where you are joy is complete; in your right hand there are pleasures for ever and ever."

And as I wrote before, the trials sinners cause us can't rob us of our holy glee. Psalms 27:6 (BBE) tells us, "And now my head will be lifted up higher than my haters who are round me: because of this I will make offerings of joy in his tent; I will make a song, truly I will make a song of praise to the Lord."

Even when we're punished by God for giving in to sin, it results in our growth and happiness. Psalms 30:5 (BBE) explains, "For his wrath is only for a minute; in his grace there is life; weeping may be for a night, but joy comes in the morning."

Whenever we feel down, we can pray Psalms 51:12 and 13 )BBE). "Give me back the joy of your salvation; let a free spirit be my support. Then will I make your ways clear to wrongdoers; and sinners will be turned to you."

So we understand the multiple purposes of righteous joy. Happiness doesn't last but the exhilaration of belonging to the Lord is eternal.

On Saturday, provided Christ doesn't return first, I hope to post about a childhood pleasure and a beautiful song by a German band.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment on this blog. All reasonable comments will be published.