Thursday 21 May 2020

My Sony TC-105 and Materialism

I've noticed something about myself as I've aged. Material things become less and less important. When I was a twenty-something, I wanted things like a colour TV, a stereo, and an electric guitar. Since I was renting, I didn't have any house payments or repairs to worry about.

One device I longed to have back in 1975 was a Sony TC-105 open reel tape recorder. Having used ones loaned to me by the CNIB, Though they were on loan for me to hear recorded class assignments, I also made many recordings on my own tapes of local radio stations.

Since the church I attended wouldn't help me by lending me the money, I scrounged together $250 and bought my own recorder.

Though I was born again, I still felt that I needed those material things. I also knew what Christ said in Matthew 6:19-21 (BBE) about possessions. "Make no store of wealth for yourselves on earth, where it may be turned to dust by worms and weather, and where thieves may come in by force and take it away. But make a store for yourselves in heaven, where it will not be turned to dust and where thieves do not come in to take it away: For where your wealth is, there will your heart be."

I felt back then that God was stingy, giving sparingly of the things which would help me enjoy my time on earth. Nobody told me then about how Luke 12:28 (BBE) showed God's care for his children. "But if God gives such clothing to the grass in the field, which today is living, and tomorrow will be burned in the oven, how much more will he give clothing to you, O men of little faith?"

I know now that our heavenly Father does provide for us and that people had lied to me about his character. That's why such liars must heed Matthew 18:6 (BBE) or risk being sent to hell. "But whoever is a cause of trouble to one of these little ones who have faith in me, it would be better for him to have a great stone fixed to his neck, and to come to his end in the deep sea."

It's also why I wrote my memoir, How I Was Razed. My hope is that deceived people will break free of their false teachers and learn what God has actually said.

And if the Lord doesn't return by Saturday, I plan on posting about the dead-end lives of worldly people as well as their eternal fate.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment on this blog. All reasonable comments will be published.