Saturday 16 May 2020

Saturday Song: Simon and Garfunkel, "Richard Cory"


This song shows how riches by themselves don't satisfy. The man in the song envied the owner of the factory where he worked. But when his boss committed suicide, he couldn't grasp why anybody with wealth would ever throw it all away.

Listen to Simon and Garfunkel's story song here:

The Bible has much to say about wealth. Chiefly, wealth can't save a person. Matthew 16:26 (BBE) Reminds us, "For what profit has a man, if he gets all the world with the loss of his life? or what will a man give in exchange for his life?"

Long ago, God reminded Israel that he's the one which allowed them to gain riches through the plunder of the Canaanites. Deuteronomy 8:17 (BBE) informs us, "Say not then, in your hearts, 'My power and the strength of my hands have got me this wealth.' But keep in mind the Lord your God: for it is he who gives you the power to get wealth, so that he may give effect to the agreement which he made by his oath with your fathers, as at this day."

Remember that Solomon asked for wisdom in that dream when God asked him what he desired. The Lord's answer is recorded in 2 Chronicles 1:11 and 12 (BBE). "And God said to Solomon, 'Because this was in your heart, and you did not make request for money, property, or honour, or for the destruction of your haters, or for long life; but you have made request for wisdom and knowledge for yourself, so that you may be the judge of my people over whom I have made you king: Wisdom and knowledge are given to you; and I will give you wealth and honour, such as no king has had before you or ever will have after you."

So, should we live in abject poverty to avoid the traps of riches? We read a wise prayer in Proverbs 30:8 and 9 (BBE). "Put far from me all false and foolish things: do not give me great wealth or let me be in need, but give me only enough food: For fear that if I am full, I may be false to you and say, 'Who is the Lord?' or if I am poor, I may become a thief, using the name of my God wrongly."

On Monday, provided the Lord doesn't return before then, I hope to post about Christ's disciples' misplaced expectations.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment on this blog. All reasonable comments will be published.