Monday 17 February 2020

Who Are Christ's 'Little Ones'?

For decades, I thought that his little ones were all the children of the world. Certainly Jesus loved children but what he said about the Kingdom of Heaven is really about believers.

Read the eighteenth chapter of Matthew carefully and you'll realize that the child he set in the midst of his disciples was an example of trusting faith. When the twelve asked who would be the greatest in the Kingdom, Christ spoke about those who believe in him implicitly. Matthew 18:5 (BBE) shows that these childlike believers are the ones he meant. "And whoever gives honour to one such little child in my name, gives honour to me:"

Now connect that with Acts 9:4 (BBE) when Jesus blinded Saul with his glory. "And he went down on the earth, and a voice said to him, 'Saul, Saul, why are you attacking me so cruelly?'" Notice the personal pronoune?

When a believer is misled or attacked, Christ feels it. In fact, he considers us his siblings. Matthew 12:49 (and 50 BBE) shows this when his biological family came to see him. "And he put out his hand to his disciples and said, 'See, my mother and my brothers! For whoever does the pleasure of my Father in heaven, he is my brother, and sister, and mother.'"

Jesus also spoke of 'little ones' in Matthew 10:42 (BBE) after instructing his disciples. "And whoever gives to one of these little ones a cup of cold water only, in the name of a disciple, truly I say to you, he will not go without his reward."

Jesus also appears to say in Matthew 18:10 (BBE)that we believers have angels representing us in heaven. "Let it not seem to you that one of these little ones is of no value; for I say to you that in heaven their angels see at all times the face of my Father in heaven."

All this makes me feel glad whenever I hear of Christians being persecuted for their steadfast faith in Christ. They aren't ignored by our Lord but he feels every blow and jab they suffer.

On Thursday, I'll hopefully post about an unorthodox way of getting by giving. It isn't that "faith seed" nonsense either.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment on this blog. All reasonable comments will be published.