Thursday 13 February 2020

What About Religions Which Teach Good Deeds?

To those folks who don't know the gospel, this sounds like a wise question. I can't think of a single world religion which forbids doing good deeds. But doing good works just to better one's chances for a higher place in the next life isn't what gets people into heaven.

Jesus himself gave the answer of how we may receive eternal life. Nicodemus, a ruler of the temple, came by night to ask Jesus this question. John 3:3 (BBE) is his answer to him and all humanity. "Jesus said to him, 'Truly, I say to you, Without a new birth no man is able to see the kingdom of God.'"

And as with our physical birth, we contributed nothing to it. That's why Ephesians 2:8 and 9 (BBE) states without equivocation, "Because by grace you have salvation through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is given by God: Not by works, so that no man may take glory to himself."

This is what makes Christianity radically different from all other belief systems. We can't improve ourselves enough to even begin to reach God's sinlessness. Isaiah 64:6 (BBE) shows us this in no uncertain terms. "For we have all become like an unclean person, and all our good acts are like a dirty robe: and we have all become old like a dead leaf, and our sins, like the wind, take us away."

What people find hard to accept is that we are all sinful. Our basic tendency is to ward wickedness and selfishness. But Christ is lord, meaning the boss, and he must be obeyed. As John 13:13 and 14 (BBE) says, "You give me the name of Master and Lord: and you are right; that is what I am. If then I, the Lord and the Master, have made your feet clean, it is right for you to make one another's feet clean."

Christ couldn't have said it plainer in John 14:6 (BBE) when he told Thomas, "Jesus said to him, 'I am the true and living way: no one comes to the Father but by me."

This is one doctrine which worldly people find offensive. Even so, I'll keep proclaiming it in my book, You Think You're Going to Heaven? Just because we don't like it, doesn't mean it isn't true.

On Saturday, I'll post about what the meaning of love is and I'll feature one of my favourite techno bands' tunes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment on this blog. All reasonable comments will be published.