Monday 5 August 2019

The Hubris of defining God

Can you think of anything more foolish than trying to define the nature of God? I can't because there's nothing more idiotic than that. Yet Jehovah's Witnesses, Mormons, and other pseudo-Christian denominations have the audacity to claim that they can.

The Trinity has no direct analogue in our world. Any attempt to describe it falls apart under close examination. We can liken it to the three parts of an egg or water in its three states but they all collapse when pressed to there logical limits.

I liken the Trinity to the red, green, and blue phosphor dots in a colour television picture tube or the liquid crystals in a flat screen monitor. But close scrutiny causes all of any description to disintegrate.

God has a thing or three to say about the folly of trying to understand his nature. He said in Isaiah 55:8 and 9 (BBE), "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, or your ways my ways, says the Lord. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.

As for proof that the doctrine of the Trinity is true, we need look no further than Christ's baptism. Luke 3:21 and 22 (BBE) says, "Now it came about that when all the people had been given baptism, Jesus, having had baptism with them, was in prayer, when, the heaven being open, The Holy Spirit came down in the form of a dove, and a voice came from heaven, saying, 'You are my dearly loved Son, with whom I am well pleased.'"

If there was no Trinity and God was a single being, how could his son and the Holy Spirit be present at once?

The Witnesses claim that Christ was a created being, akin to angels. But I've written before that their translators added words to the scriptures so it sounded like Christ was created. I also pointed out how the Holy Spirit was one with God in previous posts.

We also read in Hebrews 9:14 (KJV) that God is eternal. "How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?"

I could explain further about how the Godhead is inscrutable but I'll save that for my book called You Think You're Going to Heaven? Doubters of God's Word claim that the Trinity doesn't make sense. They insult the Lord by not believing his God-breathed revelation.

On Thursday, I'll post about how some Christians lack the devotion they owe to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment on this blog. All reasonable comments will be published.