Thursday 28 January 2021

Men At Work, "Who Could It Be Now"

 I sure relate to this song. Some folks I've known never seem to understand that people sometimes need privacy and don't often want to chatter late into the night. I've had to be rude to them just to get it through their thick skulls that I wanted privacy.

check out this great song here:

A common proverb people use is "familiarity breeds contempt." In fact, I've even been guilty of doing what Proverbs 25:17 (Bible in Basic English) warns against. "Let not your foot be frequently in your neighbour's house, or he may get tired of you, and his feeling be turned to hate."

Another kind of speech which is no good, and I've been guilty of it as well, is mentioned in Proverbs 14:23 (BBE). "In all hard work there is profit, but talk only makes a man poor."

Likewise, I've had my moments of foolish talk. Unlike some people I know, I did learn from my folly. Ecclesiastes 10:12-14 (BBE) admonishes, "The words of a wise man's mouth are sweet to all, but the lips of a foolish man are his destruction. The first words of his mouth are foolish, and the end of his talk is evil crime. The foolish are full of words; man has no knowledge of what will be; and who is able to say what will be after him?"

Furthermore, I struggle with the error of speaking first before I've heard both sides of an argument. Talkative people tend to do this often as well. As James 1:19 and 20 (BBE) reminds us, "You have knowledge of this, dear brothers. But let every man be quick in hearing, slow in words, slow to get angry; For the righteousness of God does not come about by the wrath of man."

And while we should speak out against injustice, a time comes when we must butt out of arguments which don't concern us. As Paul wrote to the congregation in 1 Thessalonians 4:10-12  (BBE), "And, truly, you are lovers of all the brothers in Macedonia; but it is our desire that your love may be increased still more; And that you may take pride in being quiet and doing your business, working with your hands as we gave you orders; That you may be respected by those who are outside, and may have need of nothing."

We also need to have a solitary time each day when we talk with God. As Jesus taught in Matthew 6:5 and 6 (BBE), "And when you make your prayers, be not like the false-hearted men, who take pleasure in getting up and saying their prayers in the Synagogues and at the street turnings so that they may be seen by men. Truly I say to you, They have their reward. But when you make your prayer, go into your private room, and, shutting the door, say a prayer to your Father in secret, and your Father, who sees in secret, will give you your reward."

If the Lord doesn't return by Monday, I hope to post about heaven and the weird ideas people have about it.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment on this blog. All reasonable comments will be published.