Thursday 21 January 2021

Argent, "Hold Your Head Up"

What a great song this was from the summer of 1970. Ron Argent had a hit with his band but never had another. Take a listen to this encouraging song performed live here:

We Christians need to hold our heads up too, but not because of pride. We read in 1 Peter 2:9 (Bible in Basic English) how we have been set apart from those who rejected Christ. "But you are a special people, a holy nation, priests and kings, a people given up completely to God, so that you may make clear the virtues of him who took you out of the dark into the light of heaven."

Not only that but we were chosen from before time began. Paul wrote of our special selection by God in 2 Timothy 1:9 (BBE) when he wrote of the Lord, "Who gave us salvation, marking us out for his purpose, not on account of our works, but in the measure of his purpose and his grace, which was given to us in Christ Jesus before times eternal,"

Better still, we can rely upon what Christ said to his Father regarding his disciples in John 17:12 (BBE). "While I was with them I kept them safe in your name which you have given to me: I took care of them and not one of them has come to destruction, but only the son of destruction, so that the Writings might come true."

Being the Good Shepherd, Christ promised us who follow him in John 10:27 and 28 (BBE(, "My sheep give ear to my voice, and I have knowledge of them, and they come after me: And I give them eternal life; they will never come to destruction, and no one will ever take them out of my hand."

Finally, our confidence isn't in our works and outward appearance but in our heavenly Father. As 1 Corinthians 1:30 and 31 (BBE) proclaims, "But God has given you a place in Christ Jesus, through whom God has given us wisdom and righteousness and salvation, and made us holy: So that, as it is said in the holy Writings, Whoever has a desire for glory, let his glory be in the Lord."

And if our Lord hasn't returned by Saturday, I hope to post about a lovely ballad which we can all apply to Christ.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment on this blog. All reasonable comments will be published.