Saturday 5 December 2020

Saturday Song: Five Man Electrical Band, Hello Melinda,Goodbye"

This is the debut song by Canadian rockers, The Five Man Electrical Band. It broke big across the land in December of 1970, proving that Canadian bands knew how to rock.

Hear this great song here:

Like the woman in the song, Israel kept "running around" after false gods. Through many prophets, the Lord called his people back to himself. 

Jeremiah 3:1 (Bible in Basic English) says, "They say, 'If a man puts away his wife and she goes from him and becomes another man's, will he go back to her again? will not that land have been made unclean?' but though you have been acting like a loose woman with a number of lovers, will you now come back to me? says the Lord."

After all God did for Israel, the people kept turning away from him. Ezekiel 16:22 (BBE) tells how forgetful they were of his grace. "And in all your disgusting and false behaviour you had no memory of your early days, when you were uncovered and without clothing, stretched out in your blood." By the way, this is an allusion to how helpless as a newborn Abraham's descendents were at first.

Likewise Hosea 2:5 (BBE) shows how that nation kept looking to other countries for sustenance. "For their mother has been untrue; she who gave them birth has done things of shame, for she said, 'I will go after my lovers, who give me my bread and my water, my wool and my linen, my oil and my wine.'"

The Israelites were barely out of Egypt when their first trials of faith sent them into a panic. We see how it happened in Exodus 32:1 (BBE). "And when the people saw that Moses was a long time coming down from the mountain, they all came to Aaron and said to him, ''Come, make us a god to go before us: as for this Moses, who took us up out of the land of Egypt, we have no idea what has become of him.'"

God is patient but he sets a limit on it. We must always strive never to provoke him by leaning on other people or things for help.

Provided Christ doesn't return by Monday, I hope to post about how we must be like a certain brand of power cell.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment on this blog. All reasonable comments will be published.