Saturday 12 December 2020

Saturday Song: The Clique, "Superman"

I've found plenty of good records at second hand shops. One person's junk truly is another's treasure. This is one of those songs I discovered when I went used record shopping.

The Clique had a hit in 1969 called "Sugar on Sunday." On the B side was this song called "Superman." Check it out here.

In a way, Christ and Superman have similarities. Both were extraterrestrials. Clark Kent was a foundling baby from the planet Krypton and raised by humans.

Christ was born of Mary but he was no mere human. Jesus himself said this when the Pharisees questioned his authority in John 8:22 and 23 (Bible in Basic English). "So the Jews said, 'Will he take his life? Is that why he says, "Where I go it is not possible for you to come?"' And he said to them, 'You are of the earth; I am from heaven: you are of this world; I am not of this world.'"

Superman had X-ray vision and incredible physical strength. He used both to fight crime and help the helpless against tyrants.

Jesus did many mighty miracles, yet the Pharisees hated him. John 10:30-33 (BBE) shows how Christ's sonship with the Father sounded outrageous to the temple rulers. He said, "'I and my Father are one.' Then the Jews took up stones again to send at him. Jesus said to them in answer, 'I have let you see a number of good works from the Father; for which of those works are you stoning me?' This was their answer: 'We are not stoning you for a good work but for evil words; because being a man you make yourself God.'"

On the other hand, Superman is only a made-up character but Christ is real. Ample evidence proves how he died and was resurrected. I could also mention how up to five-hundred witnesses saw him alive again and that many of those folks were still alive a few decades after that awesome event. Any doubter could ask them personally about what they saw. A faked resurrection could be easily debunked but those witnesses all saw Christ alive.

If our Master hasn't returned by Monday, I hope to post about the gospel and why it's good news.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment on this blog. All reasonable comments will be published.