Monday 14 September 2020

Why Are Cessationists hated?

 Cessationism is the doctrine that the miracles and speaking in different languages came to an end when the first-century apostles died. History has shown that no genuine miracles or instances of somebody preaching in an unknown language has happened since those days.

When the Charismatic revival began at the beginning of the twentieth century, Many Christians thought it was a reawakening of the spiritual gifts of tongues and prophecy. Teachers of that doctrine assumed that Joel 2:28 (BBE) applied to twentieth-century believers. "And after that, it will come about, says the Lord, that I will send my spirit on all flesh; and your sons and your daughters will be prophets, your old men will have dreams, your young men will see visions:"

But Peter explained in Acts 2:16 and 17 (BBE) that what just happened at Pentecost fulfilled the prophecy. "But this is the thing which was said by the prophet Joel; 'And it will come about, in the last days, says God, that I will send out my Spirit on all flesh; and your sons and your daughters will be prophets, and your young men will see visions, and your old men will have dreams:'"

But bear in mind that all sixty-six Bible books were written to those to whom they were sent and not us today.

After Peter spoke to the crowd about the resurrection of Christ, he said this in Acts 2:33 (BBE). "And so, being lifted up to the right hand of God, and having the Father's word that the Holy Spirit would come, he has sent this thing, which now you see and have knowledge of."

We, who study the scriptures faithfully, also know that the apostles and disciples expected Christ's return any day. One example is written in Hebrews 10:25 (BBE). "Not giving up our meetings, as is the way of some, but keeping one another strong in faith; and all the more because you see the day coming near." "This day" means Christ's return.

I know that many Charismatic Christians, of whom I was one,  feel hatred toward cessationism because it exposes the lies they've adopted as truth. In my own experience, I remember feeling superior to cessationists because I thought they were ignorant. Now I realize I was the ignorant one.

I know that it's still true that Christ will return. If he hasn't come by Thursday, I hope to post about Puffed Wheat Christians.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment on this blog. All reasonable comments will be published.