Thursday 10 September 2020

Put Away Childish Things

Was your childhood fun? Mine wasn't but I did have some enjoyable experiences. And as time passed, I learned how to make smart decisions regarding my life as well as spiritual things

I was a babe in Christ when I joined a charismatic house church congregation. Nobody there explained aspects of the Godhead, such as sovereignty and grace. Like children, those folks were fixated on flashy signs and wonders.

The Apostle Paul certainly realized that those miracles would soon end. He wrote in 1 Corinthians 13:8 (BBE) that, "Though the prophet's word may come to an end, tongues come to nothing, and knowledge have no more value, love has no end."

A few verses later, Paul used the process of physically growing up as a template for spiritual maturity. As he wrote in 1 Corinthians 13:11 (BBE), "When I was a child, I made use of a child's language, I had a child's feelings and a child's thoughts: now that I am a man, I have put away the things of a child."

Paul also wasn't able to give some believers advanced truth due to their spiritual immaturity. As he wrote in 1 Corinthians 3:1-3 (BBE), "And the teaching I gave you, my brothers, was such as I was able to give, not to those who have the Spirit, but to those who are still in the flesh, even to children in Christ. I gave you milk and not meat, because you were, then, unable to take it, and even now you are not able; Because you are still in the flesh: for when there is envy and division among you, are you not still walking after the way of the flesh, even as natural men?"

It wasn't only the Corinthian church that was immature. Hebrew believers also were retarded in their growth in Christ. Hebrews 5:12 (BBE) reads, "And though by this time it would be right for you to be teachers, you still have need of someone to give you teaching about the first simple rules of God's revelation; you have become like babies who have need of milk, and not of solid food."

Once I left that false church, I began the long process of correcting the lies I was taught through the help of good Bible teachers. Thanks to them, I grew up in Christ so I can share what I learned with you.

Provided Christ hasn't returned by Saturday, I hope to post about a father's love for his rascally son.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment on this blog. All reasonable comments will be published.