Monday 27 July 2020

Why Christians Accept Death, Even From COVID-19

This is a topic which the people of the world don't discuss unless they must. The Grim Reaper stalks us all but people put that thought far away from their daily lives. Only when a dreaded disease takes a loved one do folks realize their own mortality.

We followers of Christ place our trust in him and his omniscient will. He knows what we need in order to grow in our faith. And when it's time, he'll take us home to be with him.

Saint Peter understood this, having been warned by Christ years earlier. John 21:18 and 19 (BBE) reads, "'Truly I say to you, When you were young, you made yourself ready and went wherever you had a desire to go: but when you are old, you will put out your hands and another will make you ready, and you will be taken where you have no desire to go.' Now this he said, pointing out the sort of death by which he would give God glory. And after saying this, he said to him, 'Come after me.'"

When Peter knew he would die soon, he wrote his second epistle to remind believers of eternal things. As he wrote in 2 Peter 1:15 (BBE), "And I will take every care so that you may have a clear memory of these things after my death."

Likewise, Paul wrote his final letter to his prodigy to remind him of the things he must teach. As we read in 2 Timothy 4:6-8 (BBE), Paul knew it was his final hour. "For I am even now being offered, and my end is near. I have made a good fight, I have come to the end of my journey, I have kept the faith: From now on, the crown of righteousness is made ready for me, which the Lord, the upright judge, Will give to me at that day: and not only to me, but to all those who have had love for his revelation."

We know also of the greatest statement of confidence in the Old Testament. Job 19:26 (KJV) says it well. "And though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God:"

If worms don't destroy my body and Christ doesn't come by Thursday, I hope to post about the end times fixation some believers have.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment on this blog. All reasonable comments will be published.