Thursday 12 August 2021

Jimi Hendrix: "Belly Button Window"

Here's a song that's way ahead of its time. Back in the late sixties, abortion was a topic not to be mentioned in polite circles. Yet Jimi Hendrix tackled this subject from the point of view of a foetus, which you can hear in this cover of the song.

What we know from the Bible is that God knew us before we were born. As Jeremiah 1:4 (Bible in Basic English) shows, "Now the word of the Lord came to me, saying,' Before you were formed in the body of your mother I had knowledge of you, and before your birth I made you holy; I have given you the work of being a prophet to the nations.'"

We likewise read of another prophet whom God chose for his purpose in Isaiah 49:5 (BBE). "And now, says the Lord, who made me his servant when I was still in my mother's body, so that I might make Jacob come back to him, and so that Israel might come together to him: and I was honoured in the eyes of the Lord, and my God became my strength."

We also read in Genesis 1:26 and 27 (BBE) how humanity is the image bearer of the Almighty. "And God said, Let us make man in our image, like us: and let him have rule over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the air and over the cattle and over all the earth and over every living thing which goes flat on the earth. And God made man in his image, in the image of God he made him: male and female he made them."

Some folks claim that we're just another kind of animal. If that is so, why are we the only ones whom God created to have fellowship with him? Revelation 21:3 (BBE) explicitly states that we, not animals, will commune with God. "And there came to my ears a great voice out of the high seat, saying, 'See, the Tent of God is with men, and he will make his living-place with them, and they will be his people, and God himself will be with them, and be their God."

Furthermore, Christ came as a human baby. Hebrews 10:4 and 5 (BBE) tells us why animals weren't good enough for God's redemptive purpose. "Because it is not possible for the blood of oxen and goats to take away sins. So that when he comes into the world, he says, 'You had no desire for offerings, but you made a body ready for me;'"

If Christ hasn't returned by Saturday, I expect to tell you about empathy toward others.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment on this blog. All reasonable comments will be published.