Monday 5 October 2020

Trust God. He Knows What He's Doing

My friend John Peters introduced me to a hilarious police comedy called Sledge Hammer. The protagonist is a cross between Maxwell Smart and Dirty Harry. You can imagine the results of that combination.

The reason I mention this American TV show is that Sledge Hammer's catch phrase is, "Trust me. I know what I'm doing." Coming from him, it's laughable. 

But God must be trusted because he really does know what he's doing. First of all, he never lies. Jesus said in his prayer in John 17:17 (BBE), "Make them holy by the true word: your word is the true word."

We also know that the Lord has made us. Therefore he knows every single thing about us. That's why Isaiah 45:9 (BBE) warns, "Cursed is he who has an argument with his Maker, the pot which has an argument with the Potter! Will the wet earth say to him who is working with it, 'What are you doing, that your work has nothing by which it may be gripped?'"

We also have thousands of witnesses that testify of the reliable nature of God. After a full chapter describing faithful saints and what they suffered, Hebrews 12:1 and 2 (BBE) reminds us, "For this reason, as we are circled by so great a cloud of witnesses, putting off every weight, and the sin into which we come so readily, let us keep on running in the way which is marked out for us, Having our eyes fixed on Jesus, the guide and end of our faith, who went through the pains of the cross, not caring for the shame, because of the joy which was before him, and who has now taken his place at the right hand of God's seat of power."

and though it sounds unfair to our modern sensibilities, God chose some to be saved from hell. That's why Christ said in John 17:12 (BBE), "While I was with them I kept them safe in your name which you have given to me: I took care of them and not one of them has come to destruction, but only the son of destruction, so that the Writings might come true."

And if our trustworthy savior doesn't arrive by Thursday, I plan on posting about what we become when we die.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment on this blog. All reasonable comments will be published.