Thursday 11 June 2020

Why Let Discouragement Rule You?

I'm sure we all experience spells of discouragement from time to time. This usually happens because of false expectations in events and other people. But it isn't healthy to stay in a slump.

As Psalms 42:5 (BBE) reminds us, "Why are you crushed down, O my soul? and why are you troubled in me? put your hope in God; for I will again give him praise who is my help and my God."

Our spiritual leaders especially need encouragement as they bear the responsibility of Christ's flock. Moses knew this burden all too well. When he handed the reins of power to Joshua, he told the Israelites in Deuteronomy 1:38 (BBE) that, "Joshua, the son of Nun, your servant, he will go into the land: say to him that he is to be strong, for he will be Israel's guide into their heritage."

God also encouraged the exiles in Babylon that he hadn't forsaken them. Jeremiah 29:11 and 12 (BBE) reads, "For I am conscious of my thoughts about you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you hope at the end. And you will go on crying to me and making prayer to me, and I will give ear to you."

Furthermore, doubt is a sin in that it makes people believe that God won't help them. Peter learned this lesson when he walked on the water. But he became concerned about the raging waves and he began to sink. Matthew 14:31 (BBE) tells what happened next. "And straight away Jesus put out his hand and took a grip of him, and said to him, 'O man of little faith, why were you in doubt?'"

Trusting in Christ is mandatory if we're to follow him. When the disciples gathered for the last Passover, our lord reminded them of this. John 16:33 (BBE) reads, "I have said all these things to you so that in me you may have peace. In the world you have trouble: but take heart! I have overcome the world."

Though there are chemical imbalances and medical conditions which can make a person chronically depressed, we often get the blues when we forget whom we belong to. It's why Bible reading is a crucial practice.

On Saturday, if Christ doesn't return first, I hope to post about a great song by Ian Thomas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment on this blog. All reasonable comments will be published.