Thursday 10 May 2018

The Spiritualizing Error

Similar to allegorizing biblical history, spiritualizing actual events is wrong. Studying the context of various verses shows whether the passages are historical or metaphorical. We don't treat secular history that way so why do that to Holy Scripture?

One verse people have misunderstood is John 21:11 (KJV). "Simon Peter went up, and drew the net to land full of great fishes, an hundred and fifty and three: and for all there were so many, yet was not the net broken."

I heard that some preachers assumed that the hundred-and-fifty-three fish referred to some sort of code which, when deciphered, gave the secret of end times prophecy. The context is clear that the passage was an eyewitness account of the miracle Christ performed to show Peter that his job was no longer fishing for fish but for people.

Another verse which people wrench far out of its context is Isaiah 11:6 (KJV). "The wolf also shall dwell with the lamb, and the leopard shall lie down with the kid; and the calf and the young lion and the fatling together; and a little child shall lead them."

The first five verses of that chapter for tell the coming of Christ. To suddenly assume that the next few verses mean that we'll have animals in the new world is totally alien to the context. Neither does this verse mean that we'll get our beloved pets resurrected, as some people claim. The animals are analogous to adversaries finding peace with each other in Christ, the stem of Jessie.

People also misunderstood the meaning of that verse in 1 Chronicles 4:10 (KJV). "And Jabez called on the God of Israel, saying, 'Oh that thou wouldest bless me indeed, and enlarge my coast, and that thine hand might be with me, and that thou wouldest keep me from evil, that it may not grieve me!' And God granted him that which he requested."

A certain author, whose name I won't mention, misled his followers to paste that verse on their bathroom mirror and recite it for twenty-one days so they could get whatever their wicked hearts desired. The meaning of the verse is obvious. God granted Jabez' request because he was more honourable than his siblings. It isn't a formula to get stuff from God.

It's because of  these misunderstandings that I'm writing my next book called You Think You're Going to Heaven? Far too many sincere seekers are led astray by wicked people desiring fame and a following. I know since I was a victim of just such a man. By God's grace, I escaped from error and into truth.

In my next post, I'll deal with the error of not expecting rejection from non-believing friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment on this blog. All reasonable comments will be published.