Thursday 9 January 2020

Why Did God Create Hell?

In the past few posts, I explained about what hell is and who belongs in it. Since some folks might wonder why the Lord created hell in the first place, I'll attempt to answer that question.

Though God is merciful, he's also just. As Isaiah 13:11 (BBE) points out, "And I will send punishment on the world for its evil, and on the sinners for their wrongdoing; and I will put an end to all pride, and will make low the power of the cruel."

Since this is so, there must be a place of incarceration for those who rebel against the Lord. As Jeremiah 23:5 (BBE) explains about Christ, "See, the days are coming, says the Lord, when I will give to David a true Branch, and he will be ruling as king, acting wisely, doing what is right, and judging uprightly in the land."

Jesus is that king and being king, he has power and authority over humanity. As he said in Matthew 28:18 (BBE), "And Jesus came to them and said, 'All authority has been given to me in heaven and on earth.'"

Furthermore, nobody escapes from God's justice. Luke 12:5 (BBE)record's Christ's warning about whom we must fear. "But I will make clear to you of whom you are to be in fear: of him who after death has power to send you to hell; yes, truly I say, Have fear of him."

Being religious won't save people from eternal torment either. Matthew 23:33 (BBE) was Christ's warning to the Pharisees but it applies to all self-righteous folks. "You snakes, offspring of snakes, how will you be kept from the punishment of hell?"

Furthermore, hell is unlimited in its dimensions. As Israel's people were warned about their sinfulness in Isaiah 5:14 (BBE), "For this cause the underworld has made wide its throat, opening its mouth without limit: and her glory, and the noise of her masses, and her loud-voiced feasters, will go down into it."

So we conclude that justice demands punishment and incarceration. Hell is that place where rebellious angels and humans are consigned. I'll emphasize this in my next book, You Think You're Going to Heaven? People wrongly condemn God for supposedly sending "innocent" people to hell. I'll show from Scripture that it isn't so.

If all goes well, I hope to feature a song on Saturday by a Canadian band regarding the downside of wealth.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment on this blog. All reasonable comments will be published.