Saturday 28 December 2019

Saturday Song: Dr John, "Right place Wrong Time"


This seems to have been the story of my life. Whatever I did often offended others or caused them extra work. I know now that many folks who I offended were selfish and my desires were at odds with their plans. In God's sovereignty, things worked out for his glory and my benefit.

Listen to this song here.

Why do we often end up at cross purposes with others? It's because of incorrect expectations. For example, people in the first century expected Christ to kick out the Romans and establish an earthly kingdom of Israel. Even Christ's disciples were fixated on this notion, as Acts 1:6 and 7 (BBE) demonstrates. "So, when they were together, they said to him, 'Lord, will you at this time give back the kingdom to Israel?' And he said to them, 'It is not for you to have knowledge of the time and the order of events which the Father has kept in his control.'"

Earlier in Israel's history, false prophets were claiming that their captivity in Babylon would be short. Jeremiah sent a letter to the exiles, saying in Jeremiah 29:10 (BBE) that, "For this is what the Lord has said: When seventy years are ended for Babylon, I will have pity on you and give effect to my good purpose for you, causing you to come back to this place." It happened, just as he said.

Before that, the king of Asyria sent an official called the Rab-shakeh who came against Jerusalem to besiege it. He bragged in 1 Kings 18:33-35 (BBE), "Has any one of the gods of the nations kept his land from falling into the hands of the king of Assyria? Where are the gods of Hamath and of Arpad? where are the gods of Sepharvaim, of Hena and Ivvah? have they kept Samaria out of my hands? Who among all the gods of these countries have kept their country from falling into my hands, to give cause for the thought that the Lord will keep Jerusalem from falling into my hands?"

But we read in 1 Kings 19:6 and 7 (BBE) what God spoke through his prophet about the fate of this man. "And Isaiah said to them, 'This is what you are to say to your master: The Lord says, "Be not troubled by the words which the servants of the king of Assyria have said against me in your hearing. See, I will put a spirit into him, and bad news will come to his ears, and he will go back to his land; and there I will have him put to death by the sword."'"

We're also warned in James 4:13 and 14 (BBE) about, "How foolish it is to say, 'Today or tomorrow we will go into this town, and be there for a year and do business there and get wealth:' When you are not certain what will take place tomorrow. What is your life? It is a mist, which is seen for a little time and then is gone."

So what might seem like the wrong time to us is used by the Lord for his plans.

On Monday, I'll post about the hope in our future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment on this blog. All reasonable comments will be published.