Monday 23 December 2019

Jesus: Saviour of His People

We know that Jesus is called the Saviour but God also saved his people. One way was in battle.

When King David was free from his enemies and Saul, he sang this song which 2 Samuel 22:2 and 3 records. "And he said, 'The Lord is my Rock, my walled town, and my saviour, even mine; My God, my Rock, in him will I put my faith; my breastplate, and the horn of my salvation, my high tower, and my safe place; my saviour, who keeps me safe from the violent man."

And even though Israel was unfaithful to him, God sent saviours to save the nation. As 2 Kings 13:5 (BBE) describes regarding the oppression of the king of Aram, "And the Lord gave Israel a saviour, so that they became free from the hands of the Aramaeans; and the children of Israel were living in their tents as in the past."

Since Christ is God incarnate, the verse in Isaiah 43:11 (BBE) is true. "I, even I, am the Lord; and there is no saviour but me."

Even though Mary had the Son of God growing inside of her, she still knew who her saviour was. The paradox of God and Christ being saviour didn't confuse her at all.  Luke 1:47 (BBE) quotes her as saying, "My spirit is glad in God my Saviour."

The angels also confessed that Jesus was the saviour. Luke 2:11 (BBE) tells us, "For on this day, in the town of David, a Saviour has come to birth, who is Christ the Lord."

After Jesus' resurrection and ascension, the apostles proclaimed Christ as the saviour. Acts 5:31 (BBE) shows Peter's answers to the temple rulers when he and the others were arrested. "Him God has put on high at his right hand, as a Ruler and a Saviour, to give to Israel a change of heart and forgiveness of sins."

So we can tell that there is no confusion of whom the saviour is. Jesus and his father save those they chose from both temporal and spiritual danger. And even when we die, we merely go home.

I'll be writing more about the Godhead in my next book, You Think You're Going to Heaven? Some folks think that whatever they can't understand mustn't be true. What a foolish notion that is, especially regarding the Trinity.

On Thursday, when we Canadians celebrate Boxing Day, I'll post about God's mercy on gentiles. How nice that we are included in the Israel of God!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment on this blog. All reasonable comments will be published.