Thursday 26 December 2019

God's Mercy for Gentiles


One thing we Christians tend to forget is that we have been given the privilege of becoming God's people. It's too easy for us to think we're special and therefore have the automatic right to the throne room of God. But according to the Bible, we have been invited in because of God's mercy.

Of course we aren't the only dense ones. The Jews of Christ's time assumed they were the only folks God cared about. That wasn't god's plan from the beginning, as we read of Christ in Isaiah 11:10 (BBE). "And in that day, the eyes of the nations will be turned to the root of Jesse which will be lifted up as the flag of the peoples; and his resting-place will be glory."

God also welcomed the gentiles so they could help his people. Look at Isaiah 49:22 (BBE). "This is the word of the Lord God: 'See, I will make a sign with my hand to the nations, and put up my flag for the peoples; and they will take up your sons on their beasts, and your daughters on their backs.'"

Jeremiah 16:19 (BBE) shows how pagans will come to faith in God. "O Lord, my strength and my strong tower, my safe place in the day of trouble, the nations will come to you from the ends of the earth, and say, 'The heritage of our fathers is nothing but deceit, even false things in which there is no profit.'"

Another verse which the first-century temple rulers glossed over is Malachi 1:11 (BBE). "'For, from the coming up of the sun till its going down, my name is great among the Gentiles; and in every place the smell of burning flesh is offered to my name, and a clean offering: for my name is great among the Gentiles,' says' the Lord of armies."

God also sent a former persecutor of the church to reach those who weren't Israelites. We're familiar with the story of Saul and how he went to Damascus to arrest Christians. God told Ananias to lay his hands upon Saul and pray for his healing. When he objected, God said in Acts 9:15 (BBE), "But the Lord said, 'Go without fear: for he is a special vessel for me, to give to the Gentiles and kings and to the children of Israel the knowledge of my name:'"

What a blessing God has given through Jesus to the entire world! No one who has a broken spirit and a contrite heart will be excluded from the Israel of God. This is one of many reasons which we celebrate Christ's birth.

I'll be writing about the Israel of God and what it means in my next book, You Think You're Going to Heaven? Far too many churchgoers lack the understanding of this magnanimous offer which the Lord gave us.

On Saturday, I hope to publish the truth about God's sovereignty in our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment on this blog. All reasonable comments will be published.