Monday 25 November 2019

Why Were the People in Matthew 25:34-40 Blessed?

Last Thursday, I wrote about those who will be sent to hell by the king in Christ's parable. But who are those whom he blessed and commended?

Those churchgoers who think deeds will get them into heaven might wrench these verses out of context to prove their case. But if works can get people into paradise, why does Romans 10:9 and 10 (BBE) say, ""Because, if you say with your mouth that Jesus is Lord, and have faith in your heart that God has made him come back from the dead, you will have salvation: For with the heart man has faith to get righteousness, and with the mouth he says that Jesus is Lord to get salvation."

Furthermore, Ephesians 2:8 and 9 (BBE) make it clear that works have no part in salvation. "Because by grace you have salvation through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is given by God: Not by works, so that no man may take glory to himself."

Since boasting is taking glory to yourself, and since God will not share his glory with another person, working for salvation and entrance into heaven is blasphemy. Ponder what Isaiah 42:8 (BBE) declares. "I am the Lord; that is my name: I will not give my glory to another, or my praise to pictured images."

In Matthew 25:34 (BBE), we hear the King blessing those who are called his sheep. "Then will the King say to those on his right, 'Come, you who have the blessing of my Father, into the kingdom made ready for you before the world was:'"

And as we read in Matthew 25:40 (BBE) the king commends those Christians who wonder how they helped him when he was naked, hungry, and in prison. "And the King will make answer and say to them, 'Truly I say to you, Because you did it to the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.'" Please note the phrase, "my brotherrs." His brothers aren't the unsaved poor and oppressed but the believers in Christ.

It's clear that those who do good works without saving faith in Christ won't be commended. These verses show us who believe in the Lord that our works won't save us but they do earn commendation from our Master.

I'll keep pointing out this hard-to-swallow truth in You Think You're Going to Heaven? My book won't make much of a dent in the heresy of works righteousness but at least I'll have done something about it.

On Thursday, I hope to tackle the subject of who the ten virgins in Matthew chapter twenty-five represent.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment on this blog. All reasonable comments will be published.