Thursday 21 November 2019

Who Were the Folks in Matthew 25:41-45?

As I wrote last time, those who aren't born again and who haven't surrendered the running of their lives to Christ are hellward bound. This is a hard truth to accept but it is what it is.

Part of one of Jesus' parables is recorded in Matthew 25:41-45. It speaks of those who didn't help Christians, and Christ by extension.

The passage in the Bible in Basic English reads: "Then will he say to those on the left, 'Go from me, you cursed ones, into the eternal fire which is ready for the Evil One and his angels: For I was in need of food, and you gave it not to me; I was in need of drink, and you gave it not to me: I was wandering, and you took me not in; without clothing, and you gave me no clothing; ill, and in prison, and you came not to me.' Then will they make answer, saying, 'Lord, when did we see you in need of food or drink, or wandering, or without clothing, or ill, or in prison, and did not take care of you?' Then will he make answer to them, saying, 'Truly I say to you, Because you did it not to the least of these, you did it not to me.'"

We must remember too that Jesus considered his disciples as family. Therefore, not helping or helping one of those "little ones" is giving or not giving help to him.

How is this so? Jesus' mother and brothers came to see him once and couldn't get through the crowd. Luke 8:21 (BBE) shows Christ's reply to the news of his family members seeking him. "But he said to them in answer, 'My mother and my brothers are those who have knowledge of the word of God and do it."

We also know from the Bible that persecuting Christians is persecuting Christ by extension. Remember when Saul was arresting Christians and went to Damascus to incarcerate more believers there? Acts 9:4 and 5 (BBE) shows that Christ experiences the cruelty done to persecuted believers. "And he went down on the earth, and a voice said to him, 'Saul, Saul, why are you attacking me so cruelly?' And he said, 'Who are you, Lord?' And he said, 'I am Jesus, whom you are attacking:'"

What a blessing it is that Jesus feels the persecution of his beloved children. This fact will be included in my next book called You Think You're Going to Heaven? Christ not only knows what we do but how we suffer for his sake. What a reassurance this is to us who suffer because we trust in him!

On Saturday, I'll post about a great Canadian band's song and how our Lord cares for broken-hearted people.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment on this blog. All reasonable comments will be published.