Thursday 14 November 2019

What About Kind Deeds?

Many folks assume that the more kind deeds they do, the greater their chance of going to heaven is. In fact, some people teach that God weighs the sins against the good works and uses that to determine who's worthy of heaven.

The Bible doesn't teach that idea. We must first repent of our sins. That means to forsake sinful ways and beg God's forgiveness for what we've done wrong.

But people such as the Pharisees, who think they're perfectly righteous, refuse to admit their sinfulness. That's why John the Baptist said in Matthew 3:11 (BBE), "Truly, I give baptism with water to those of you whose hearts are changed; but he who comes after me is greater than I, whose shoes I am not good enough to take up: he will give you baptism with the Holy Spirit and with fire:"

Jesus, whom John the Baptist spoke of, received criticism from the self-righteous Pharisees regarding his outreach to wicked people. Matthew 9:12 and 13 (BBE) records Christ's rebuke. "But on hearing this he said, 'Those who are well have no need of a medical man, but those who are ill. But go and take to heart the sense of these words, "My desire is for mercy, not offerings:" for I have come not to get the upright, but sinners.'"

Jesus demonstrated the attitude of those who wanted to appear righteous in Matthew 6:5 (BBE) when he said,  "And when you make your prayers, be not like the false-hearted men, who take pleasure in getting up and saying their prayers in the Synagogues and at the street turnings so that they may be seen by men. Truly I say to you, They have their reward."

But is doing good works wrong? It all depends on one's motives. Paul explains this in Ephesians 2:8-10 BBE) when he wrote, "Because by grace you have salvation through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is given by God: Not by works, so that no man may take glory to himself. For by his act we were given existence in Christ Jesus to do those good works which God before made ready for us so that we might do them."

We also can understand that the salvation of Christ generates generosity in us. When a tax collector came to believe in Jesus, he said in Luke 19:8 (BBE), "And Zacchaeus, waiting before him, said to the Lord, 'See, Lord, half of my goods I give to the poor, and if I have taken anything from anyone wrongly, I give him back four times as much."

Jesus said in the next verse that salvation came to his house, showing that Zacchaeus' heart was righteous. He wasn't showing off or salving his conscience.

Since motives matter to God, I'll be writing about them in my next book called You Think You're Going to Heaven? Far too many people can't understand that it's what motivates a person to do good deeds that the Lord considers.

On Saturday, I'll feature a song about the evils of war and what the scriptures say about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment on this blog. All reasonable comments will be published.