Thursday 8 August 2019

The Lack of Devotion Error




Whenever I have attended Sunday services, I rarely heard anybody comment on the sermon. Most people used the occasion to catch up with the mundane events of their friends' lives. Whenever I did try to get a theological discussion going, almost every one felt awkward. Usually the person would hem and haw before giving a lame answer.

The Bible is a book to be studied, not merely left on the coffee table. As Paul wrote in 2 Timothy 2:15 (BBE), "we all must, "Let it be your care to get the approval of God, as a workman who has no cause for shame, giving the true word in the right way."

God's Word is our guide to life. Why not dive deeply into it? As Psalms 119:9 (BBE) advises, " How may a young man make his way clean? by guiding it after your word." By the way, that applies to women too.

And as Psalms 119:16 (BBE) exhorts, "I will have delight in your rules; I will not let your word go out of my mind."

Studying the scriptures should be enjoyable for Christians. Look at what Jeremiah 15:16 (BBE) declares. "But to me your word is a joy, making my heart glad; for I am named by your name, O Lord God of armies."

And best of all, the Bible is true because God authored it. John 17:17 (BBE) says, "Make them holy by the true word: your word is the true word."

We ought to be passionate about Holy Scripture like the first century believers were. Even when they were persecuted, they didn't quit but asked God for boldness. As Acts 4:29 and 30 (BBE) relates, "And now, Lord, take note of their cruel words, and give your servants power to be preachers of your word without fear, While your hand is stretched out to do works of mercy; so that signs and wonders may be done through the name of your holy servant Jesus."

Most of all, we must know the Father intimately. As Jesus said in Matthew 7:22 and 23 (BBE), "A great number will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, were we not prophets in your name, and did we not by your name send out evil spirits, and by your name do works of power?' And then will I say to them, 'I never had knowledge of you: go from me, you workers of evil.'"

Just from these few verses, we can tell that the genuine believers are those who cherish God's Word and study it passionately. Shallow churchgoers, like shallow brooks, just make a lot of noise which signifies nothing. We need to know the Lord rather than just having a nodding acquaintance with him.

I'll add this to my next book called You Think You're Going to Heaven? Like the gate crasher in Christ's parable about the wedding feast, those who don't know God won't be admitted but will be booted out.

On Saturday, I'll feature a song by one of Canada's finest songwriters and his lament about people in power.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment on this blog. All reasonable comments will be published.