Saturday 3 August 2019

Saturday Song: Brian Adams, "Summer of 69"

I'm sure we've all have had memorable summers. That's why this song resonates well with so many listeners. And though we wish the good times and activities would last forever, things change without our permission.

Brian Adams sang about one memorable summer in his life. The joy of buying his first real guitar kept him playing until his fingers bled.

Listen to this classic 80s song here


My "summer of 69" was memorable for several reasons. The Apolo astronauts landed on the moon. The Irish "troubles" heated up and were featured on the nightly news. I thrilled to see U.S. TV stations come in each evening. And Mom dated a man named Ralph.

As I wrote in my previous post, the greatest event of that summer happened when I surrendered my life to Christ. I didn't realize it then but I had joined his family through adoption.

Paul described how Christ adopted us born-again believers in Romans 8:15 (BBE) which says, "For you did not get the spirit of servants again to put you in fear, but the spirit of sons was given to you, by which we say, Abba, Father."

I also didn't realize the privilege I was granted. As 1 John 3:1 (BBE) states, "See what great love the Father has given us in naming us the children of God; and such we are. For this reason the world does not see who we are, because it did not see who he was."

And thanks to Christ's sacrificial work on the cross, we are freed from sin's grip. As Paul wrote in Colossians 1:13 (BBE) about our Lord, "Who has made us free from the power of evil and given us a place in the kingdom of the Son of his love;"

So we understand, just from those verses alone, what a great event salvation is. Let's appreciate and value this awesome gift which the world, in all its arrogance, can't understand.

I'll be posting on Monday about how some people actually think they can comprehend the entirety of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment on this blog. All reasonable comments will be published.