Monday 15 July 2019

Were the Proverbs About Christ?

A preacher named Voddie Baucham spoke in one sermon about the book of Proverbs being all about Christ. I doubted that until I read Colossians 2:1 to 3 (BBE) which reads, "For it is my desire to give you news of the great fight I am making for you and for those at Laodicea, and for all who have not seen my face in the flesh; So that their hearts may be comforted, and that being joined together in love, they may come to the full wealth of the certain knowledge of the secret of God, even Christ, In whom are all the secret stores of wisdom and knowledge."

Voddie pointed out that since all wisdom dwells in Christ, all the references to the wise son or man refer to Christ. Being perfectly righteous, Christ fulfills all the proverbial sayings about Wisdom.

But some smarty-pants person might ask about Lady Wisdom. How could she represent Christ? The truth is that she doesn't. This woman is a literary device which shows us how valuable wisdom is.

As for the fool, that's us. One example of this is Proverbs 11:29 (BBE) which says, "The troubler of his house will have the wind for his heritage, and the foolish will be servant to the wise-hearted."

In my How I Was Razed memoir, I wrote about how I foolishly turned my back on God due to the lies a cultic church taught. It took the loss of my house and a bad condo deal to make me realize my folly.

And which one of us can boast of never despising wisdom? Proverbs 1:7 (BBE) condemns all of us. "The fear of the Lord is the start of knowledge: but the foolish have no use for wisdom and teaching."

Certainly we were unwise rebels as children. Proverbs 22:15 (BBE) reveals this. "Foolish ways are deep-seated in the heart of a child, but the rod of punishment will send them far from him."

Only the Trinity possesses all wisdom. As we read in Jude 1:25 (BBE) about the complete wisdom of our Master. "To the only God our Saviour, through Jesus Christ our Lord, let us give glory and honour and authority and power, before all time and now and for ever. So be it."

I also apologize to those who are awaiting my next book called You Think You're Going to Heaven? I'm not used to writing in a didactic style so compiling my book is becoming difficult. Even so, I hope to have time this summer to buckle down and edit it.

On Thursday, I'll post on the subject of God's X-ray vision.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment on this blog. All reasonable comments will be published.