Thursday 20 June 2019

Are the Rich as Rich as They Seem?

It's no secret that most people envy the rich. They ride in fancy cars, live in huge mansions, and travel to exclusive vacation destinations. Neither do they need to be frugal like the rest of us.

But many rich people aren't as wealthy as they appear. They have plenty of net worth but they don't have a lot of cash on hand.

One danger of being well off is becoming arrogant. As Paul wrote in 1 Timothy 6:17 (BBE), "Give orders to those who have money and goods in this life, not to be lifted up in their minds, or to put their hope in the uncertain chances of wealth, but in God who gives us in full measure all things for our use;"

Spiritual riches can't be banked but they increase the more we spread them around. Look at what Paul wrote in Colossians 1:26 and 27 (BBE). "The secret which has been kept from all times and generations, but has now been made clear to his saints, To whom God was pleased to give knowledge of the wealth of the glory of this secret among the Gentiles, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory:"

As for the wealth of this world, it's highly unstable. The housing bubble and subsequent crash of 2008 demonstrated that fact. As King Solomon wisely noted in Proverbs 23:6 (BBE), "Are your eyes lifted up to it? it is gone: for wealth takes to itself wings, like an eagle in flight up to heaven."

But riches of themselves aren't evil. Solomon wrote in Ecclesiastes 5:18 and 19 (BBE), "This is what I have seen: it is good and fair for a man to take meat and drink and to have joy in all his work under the sun, all the days of his life which God has given him; that is his reward. Every man to whom God has given money and wealth and the power to have pleasure in it and to do his part and have joy in his work: this is given by God."

We see many wicked people gaining wealth but the Bible says that ill-gotten gain won't last. As Jeremiah 17:11 BBE) says, "Like the partridge, getting eggs together but not producing young, is a man who gets wealth but not by right; before half his days are ended, it will go from him, and at his end he will be foolish."

Of course the best way for us to be is neither wealthy or impoverished. As Proverbs 30:7-9  (BBE) points out, "I have made request to you (God) for two things; do not keep them from me before my death: Put far from me all false and foolish things: do not give me great wealth or let me be in need, but give me only enough food: For fear that if I am full, I may be false to you and say, 'Who is the Lord?' or if I am poor, I may become a thief, using the name of my God wrongly."

I'm presently working on a new book called You Think You're Going to Heaven. In it, I'll explain about the only riches we can transfer to that wonderful place.

On Saturday, I'll post about a song dealing with the subject of chronic depression. It happens even to Christians.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment on this blog. All reasonable comments will be published.