Monday 20 May 2019

Why We're Like Kites

The blustery spring winds always remind me of flying a kite. My grade seven teacher once built a huge kite and let us blind kids have a turn holding its string. As long as the wind blew and one of us held on to the kite's string, it flew.

But if you were to let go of a kite's string, it drifts and then crashes. There's no opposing force to the wind so it has no ability to rise on the breeze.

I liken the wind to the Holy Spirit. As Jesus said to Nicodemus in John 3:7 and 8(BBE), "Do not be surprised that I say to you, It is necessary for you to have a second birth. The wind goes where its pleasure takes it, and the sound of it comes to your ears, but you are unable to say where it comes from and where it goes: so it is with everyone whose birth is from the Spirit."

The string and operator of the kite, I liken to Christ and the Father. When our Lord was on earth, there were no kites in the Middle East. So he likened abiding in him, staying faithful and trusting, to a vine and its branches. As John 15:5 (BBE) reads, "I am the vine, you are the branches: he who is in me at all times as I am in him, gives much fruit, because without me you are able to do nothing."

Skilled kite flyers know how to maneuver them to wherever they want them to go. As Jesus spoke of the Holy Spirit in John 16:12 and 13 (BBE), "I have still much to say to you, but you are not strong enough for it now. However, when he, the Spirit of true knowledge, has come, he will be your guide into all true knowledge: for his words will not come from himself, but whatever has come to his hearing, that he will say: and he will make clear to you the things to come."

So we have the kite as us, the wind as the Holy Spirit, the string as Christ, and he is in God. If the wind stops blowing, but the Holy Spirit won't stop teaching us, the kite will crash. Without the string, the kite will be like a leaf fluttering and falling to the earth. And without somebody to hold the kite, it'll crash.

I'll be writing about the importance of a right relationship with Christ in You Think You're Going to Heaven? My hope is that people will read my book and seek Christ's forgiveness. May the Lord bring many into his kingdom through the work of my hands.

On Thursday, I'll post about what worship is.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment on this blog. All reasonable comments will be published.