Saturday 25 May 2019

Saturday Song: Cat Stevens, "Moon Shadow"


When I first heard this song in 1971, I thought it was horrible. How could anybody be happy losing legs, vision, and teeth? Only decades later did I understand what Cat Stevens was singing about.

Listen to his song here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9c49aDWrzeA

Contrary to the views of charismatic Christians, God wants us to make do with what we have. Hebrews 13:5 (KJV) admonishes, "Let your conversation (lifestyle) be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee."

Furthermore, Paul was familiar with hardships. Even so, he wrote in Philippians 4:11 (KJV) that, "Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content."

But, As some might ask, shouldn't we pray without ceasing? Shouldn't we storm the gates of heaven with our prayers? Jesus told a parable about an unjust judge whom a woman harassed with her continual complaining for justice. Luke 18:6 and 7 (BBE) reads, "And the Lord said, 'Give ear to the words of the evil judge. And will not God do right in the cause of his saints, whose cries come day and night to his ears, though he is long in doing it?'"

That's true insomuch as it relates to trusting in the Lord for help. But some folks ask for what they covet. James 4:3 (KJV) notes, "Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts."

In the past, people have quoted James 5:15 (KJV) to me which reads, "And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him."

But if we are supposed to have enough faith, as the charismatic's claim, why couldn't Paul heal his friend? ((He wrote in  2 Timothy 4:20 (KJV) that, "Erastus abode at Corinth: but Trophimus have I left at Miletum sick."

Clearly, this topic is one I feel passionate about. We don't always get what we want because the Lord is teaching us to rely upon him for what we need. I'm glad we don't always get what we want. God knows what's best for us, just like a loving parent gives only good things to their children.

On Monday, I'll post about what God has given us. We forget just how blessed we are.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment on this blog. All reasonable comments will be published.