Saturday 15 December 2018

Saturday Song: Gladys Knight and the Pips, "Midnight Train to Georgia"

I can't help but love this song. The woman in it is so loyal to her man that she'd rather live in his world than live without him in hers. It shows a love that's deeper than affection for one's home and friends.

Listen to this song here.

We have a great example of this sacrificial love in the Bible. Ruth 1:16 (KJV) reads, "And Ruth said, 'Entreat me not to leave thee, or to return from following after thee: for whither thou goest, I will go; and where thou lodgest, I will lodge: thy people shall be my people, and thy God my God:'"

Naomi and her husband left Israel because of a severe drought. Her sons married women of Moab, one being Orpah and the other Ruth. When the drought ended, Naomi wanted to return to Bethlehem but she didn't want her daughter-in-laws to follow her. Orpah went back but Ruth traveled to Naomi's homeland. As a result, she became part of the lineage which brought Christ into the world.

Furthermore, we see right from the start that the Bible is clear about a man and a woman marrying for life. Matthew 19:5 (KJV)quotes Jesus, "And said, 'For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh?'" This was in regard to a question from the Pharisees about divorce.

Of course love must work both ways, Paul wrote in Ephesians 5:25 (KJV), "Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;"

I hope you enjoyed this song and what I wrote. Please leave me a comment if you want to.

By the way, Monday's post will be about Jesus as the ultimate high priest. I'll also explain why we need him to advocate for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment on this blog. All reasonable comments will be published.