Thursday 13 September 2018

The Moralism Error

One objection for not following Christ is that people claim they already do good things. They believe that just doing kind deeds for disadvantaged people will count for something on Judgement Day.

Moralists often claim Matthew 25:34-35  (BBE) as their justification for believing in their good deeds. Christ told a parable about the last day when the good shepherd will separate the sheep from the goats. "Then will the King say to those on his right, 'Come, you who have the blessing of my Father, into the kingdom made ready for you before the world was: For I was in need of food, and you gave it to me: I was in need of drink, and you gave it to me: I was wandering, and you took me in;'"

But God judges us by the motives for doing deeds. As he said in 1 Samuel 16:7 (KJV), "But the LORD said unto Samuel, 'Look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature; because I have refused him: for the LORD seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the LORD looketh on the heart.'"

Nobody can fool the heavenly Father. Hebrews 4:12 (KJV) explains, "For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart."

The Pharisees certainly seemed moral to the first centry Jews. But Jesus wasn't fooled. Matthew 6:2 (KJV) quotes him as saying, "Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward."

Which kind of deeds are approved of by the Lord? Paul answered that in 2 Corinthians 5:14 (BBE) which reads, "For it is the love of Christ which is moving us; because we are of the opinion that if one was put to death for all, then all have undergone death."

These verses demonstrate that people often do good works for selfish motives. But God judges what we do by our hearts rather than outward appearances. This is why I'm working on a book called You Think You're Going to Heaven? Human religions encourage their followers to do good deeds but the reason is to butter up their deities or improve themselves. But our works are as filthy rags and not righteous garments.

On Saturday, I hope to post about a man who's music I adore but who now is a dandy in the underworld. How I wish he had repented because he can't now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment on this blog. All reasonable comments will be published.