Saturday 11 August 2018

Saturday Song: The Dick van Dykes, "Chain Letter Massicre"

I feel confident that many of us are affronted by chain letter senders. They think we'll take time out of our busy days to forward their nonsense. It's easier now because we can copy and paste messages into e-mail and Facebook posts. Even so, it's still an imposition upon us by people we often don't know or even care to know.

I sympathize with the writer of this song. People used to send me all sorts of chain letters with the expectation that I'd send copies to my friends and pay the sender money. Back in the late eighties, this was a labourious task. I could borrow the photocopier at work but then I had to address envelopes and affix proper postage. In the end, I never got any responses from the friends I wrote or any cash wrapped securily in carbon paper.

Listen to The Dickvan Dykes here.

There's only one message worth passing on to friends and that's the gospel. We who follow Christ are commanded to do so. Look at what Mark 16:15 KJV) plainly says. "And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature."

But some folks don't want to hear that they can be saved from hell. To them, they assume they're good enough and God will automatically open the gates wide for them. They oppose any presentation of the good news, which is what gospel means, and even persecute those who preach it.

But why should we Christians not proclaim such wonderful news. Look at what Paul, one of the most persecuted messengers of the Lord, said in Romans 1:16 (KJV). "For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek."

Furthermore, we have no excuse not to tell others about such a magnanimous gift. Look at what Paul wrote in Romans 10:15,( KJV) "And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!"

So, what do you think of what this song and what I wrote? Please let me know in the comment box below.

On Monday, I'll be posting on how we need suffering in our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment on this blog. All reasonable comments will be published.