Saturday 28 July 2018

Saturday Song: Johnny Cash, "Guess Things Happen That Way"

Life sure can seem unfair. People who we feel ought to drop dead live on for decades while loved ones die young. Worse yet, these departed family members and friends had so much potential which they never had the time to realize.

Hear Johnny Cash's song here.

Unfairness is hard to understand. If God is so loving and kind, goes the argument, why does he allow such horrors as war, famine, disease, and Microsoft Windows? Why can't we live happy and trouble-free lives? And if he lets bad things happen to good people, can we trust him at all?

I wrestled with similar doubts in the 1980s. Elders at a house church drilled into me that I should build up my faith so I could receive full sight. But each failure of my faith, or so they told me, proved that I lacked faith to be healed.

I now know that God is sovereign. He made us and he knows what's best for us. And like our pets fuss whenever we take them to the vet's, we don't realize what God does is for our own eventual good and his glory.

Romans 9:20 (KJV) shows how foolish we are to accuse God of wrongdoing. "Nay but, O man, who art thou that repliest  against God? Shall the thing formed say to him that formed it, Why 
hast thou made me thus?"

This answer sounds unsatisfying to ears accustomed to egalitarianism. We think we know better but God is God and not us. I don't like it eather but I guess things happen that way.

Did you enjoy the song and what I wrote? Please comment in the box below. But if you'd rather not, have a beautiful weekend anyway.
I'll be blogging on Monday about how some Christians think the Holy Spirit makes them do weird things like falling backward.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment on this blog. All reasonable comments will be published.