Thursday 7 June 2018

The Hellfire Preacher Error

 I wrote previously about the biblical injunction to warn all sinners about hell. Unfortunately, one group of preachers have made a mockery of that command through their histrionic rantings.

From the seventeenth to the early twentieth centuries, "fire and brimstone" preachers used fear to motivate people to repent. But merely escaping damnation isn't a good reason to follow Christ.

Look at what 1 John 4:18 (KJV) says about why we must love Christ. "There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love."


How can people love the one who they've been told to fear? Our response to Christ's purchase of salvation on the cross for his followers ought to be one of love and awe. Romans 5:8 (KJV) shows why. "But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us." What an awesome thought!

Jesus could have refused what he called "the cup" but he didn't. Matthew 26:42 (KJV) says, "He went away again the second time, and prayed, saying, 'O my Father, if this cup may not pass away from me, except I drink it, thy will be done.'"

Furthermore, Hebrews 12:2 (KJV) explains why our Lord took the monstrous load of our sins upon his sinless soul. "Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God."


This topic is too big to explain in a mere blog post. That's why I'm writing my book called You Think You're Going to Heaven? Since there's no "do over" after we die, it's crucial that we be fully persuaded and informed about our eternal destination.

Saturday's post will be about a song which I took offense at. The house church taught me lies about the man mentioned in the song. Now that I'm free from that wicked leader and his sheep dog sidekick, I realize how badly they misled me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment on this blog. All reasonable comments will be published.