Thursday 21 June 2018

The Error of Not Planning for the Future

Back in the seventies, I made a huge mistake. Since I was told that Christ could return any day soon, I decided not to save for my retirement. End times pundits kept claiming that the Soviet Union would invade Israel and the invaders would be destroyed, leading to Armageddon. We'd be raptured out and God's wrath would be poured out on the earth for seven years. I figured it was stupid to save up when I'd just lose it all at Christ's return.

Forty years later, Christ hasn't returned and I'm almost at retirement age. What if I had started saving for my retirement when I began to work? I'd have more money earning compound interest by now.

God has plenty to say about prudent use of money. Proverbs 6:6 (KJV) says, "Go to the ant, thou sluggard; consider her ways, and be wise:"

Ants store up food for the winter. Had I been ant-like, the winter of retirement would be more comfortable for me.

But shouldn't we be watching for the Lord's return? Of course we should but we shouldn't be like the servant who assumed his master would be away a long time and start beating on other servants.
Nobody knows the hour when Christ will return. Every date which so-called prophets set for it proved false.


As Jesus said in Matthew 24:36 (KJV), "But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only." Even so, people set dates and deceive their followers.

I've heard that some people sold all they had when they heard of their leader's prophecy and gave the money to his organization. What does God think of that? Paul, through the Holy Spirit, wrote in 1 Timothy 5:8 (KJV), "But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel."

God will provide for us but we need to work also. I fell for the nonsense that I had but to wait on God and he'd dump every blessing on me. Now I know better.


Ensuring our eternity with God is also something many folks don't do. That's why I'm writing my next book called You Think You're Going to Heaven? The biggest failure to plan is when people put off turning to God and surrendering their lives to the Lord. The trouble is that "someday" never comes and we're left with regrets. Regretting in hell is the worst sort of torture.

I'll be blogging next time about how people have illogical ideas regarding spiritual things. What can't be seen still is real.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment on this blog. All reasonable comments will be published.