Saturday 7 April 2018

Saturday Song: Albert Hammond, The Free Electric Band

This song was a hit in the spring of 1973. It's about how people expect us to do what they planned but we desire to do what we feel passionate about. Though I enjoyed the song, one line made me feel uncomfortable.

Because I had heard about how atheistic universities had become, even back then, the line about analysing a woman's mind for "deep-rooted attitudes and morals," gave me an uneasy feeling. I never liked being scrutinized by fully-sighted folks and I disliked the thought of others suffering the same fate.

Here Albert Hammond's song here.

This is one unfortunate aspect of being human. Anybody who is different in some way becomes an unwelcome problem to groups sharing similarities. Skin colour is one division in human society. So are languages, religions, genders, and disabilities.

I'm glad that Christianity includes anybody of any ethnic background or other superficial differences. It isn't a "white man's religion" as some people think and neither is it only for westerners.

Look at what the Apostle Paul wrote in Galatians 3:28 (KJV) regarding artificial divisions. "There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus."

This is why I love Christians no matter where they live. We're all adoptees in the family of Christ. What a privilege!

If you'd like to comment on this song and what I wrote, please feel free to do so. And if not, have a wonderful weekend anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment on this blog. All reasonable comments will be published.