Saturday 17 March 2018

Saturday Song: The Marmalade, "Reflections of My Life"


This is one song which resonated perfectly with me, though I was only thirteen when it was on the air. I remember standing on the brow of the hill overlooking the classrooms at Jericho Hill School for the Deaf and Blind one March afternoon. On my transistor radio came this song and I thought how it reflected my life.

Listen to the song here.

Like the person in the song, my life seemed terrible but I didn't want to die. I was as trapped in my misery as that character in the song was trapped in his.

Fortunately for me, God had my future in his hands. Had I known that I wouldn't be going to Jericho anymore after the school year ended, I would have felt more hopeful.

Though Jeremiah 29:11 (KJV) was addressed to the Israelite exiles, we can take it as our promise too. "For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end."

My exile ended in 1970. That autumn, I was sent to a public school in Edmonton which had disability counsellors to help us with reading print texts. I boarded during the week with a family and went home on weekends. Not only did I feel better about being in a regular home during the week but I was able to stay with my family on the weekends. The dorms at Jericho were so sterile and unnatural compared to a real home with a real family.

So, what do you think of this song and what I wrote here? Please drop me a note. Have a great weekend too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment on this blog. All reasonable comments will be published.