Saturday 10 March 2018

Saturday Song: C. W. McCall, Convoy

Who here remembers the Citizen's Band craze of the seventies? I was one of millions of people who became fanatical regarding this public form of communication. All a person needed was a radio, coaxial cable, and an antenna. Unlike amateur radio with its strict rules, CB was a much easier choice for millions of folks.

CB radio became so popular that movies were made around the hobby. C. W. McCall also released a song called "Convoy" in 1976.

Here the song here.

But like anything fun in life, a few idiots had to ruin it. People often had their conversations interrupted by "turkeys," as we called them. Rude individuals would deliberately play music to blot out somebody's signal. Sometimes people got so angry that physical fights broke out.

Because of CB radio's bad reputation, the elders of the house church worried that I'd be influenced by the swearing and dirty jokes I heard on the air. As I've written before, they considered CB radio to be a waste of time and an outlet for the Devil.

But those superstitious fools didn't realize what Jesus said in Matthew 15:11 (KJV). "Not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man; but that which cometh out of the mouth, this defileth a man."

Instead of being "defiled" by CB radio, I chose the handle Cosmic Christian and I often spoke about the gospel on the air. This angered many CBers but I persisted.

So, what are your memories and experiences of CB radio? Were you active or was it just a passing phase with you. Please leave me a reply in the box below. And if you don't feel like doing that, have a good weekend anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment on this blog. All reasonable comments will be published.