Saturday 24 February 2018

Saturday Song: Simon and Garfunkel, "Save the Life of My Child"

One thing I loved about the sixties was that artists started singing about substantial subjects. There were still plenty of what Paul McCartney called "silly love songs," on the air but songwriters became more introspective than in previous decades.

One song which touched me during my teenage years was "Save the Life of My Child." It's about a boy on a building ledge about to commit suicide. The reactions of the bystanders, police, and the crowd of curious onlookers were most revealing.

Listen to the song here.

This might not seem obvious to some but suicide is self murder. People feel so desperate that they see no other way out of their emotional pain.

But ending it all is a terrible idea. Matthew 27:5 (KJV) shows Judas' irrevocable mistake. "And he cast down the pieces of silver in the temple, and departed, and went and hanged himself."

Judas would have been better off doing what Peter did in Matthew 26:75 (KJV). "And Peter remembered the word of Jesus, which said unto him, 'Before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice.' And he went out, and wept bitterly." Peter was forgiven but Judas could have been if he had repented.

People familiar with Luke chapter sixteen would also know that there's no turning back from one's sins after death. Though I can't say for sure what happens to Christians who kill themselves, I do know that those who rebel against Christ's dominion end up forever in hell.

What do you think of this song and what I wrote? I'd love to hear from you. Have a great weekend as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment on this blog. All reasonable comments will be published.