Saturday 9 December 2017

Saturday Song: Simon and Garfunkel, "I Am a Rock

I certainly relate to this song. Because I wasn't close with most of my family members, I don't bother with celebrations as others do. In fact, I resent all the bother associated with holidays, especially Christmas.

As a result of this, some people wonder if I'm a Jehovah's Witness. I most certainly am not. Even so, it's the sense of obligation which upsets me. People often go to ridiculous lengths. They get so involved with shopping for that "perfect" gift that they come home angry. People spend a lot on Christmas cards. Then they have to buy stocking stuffers in addition to the presents. Baking and cooking for relatives keeps folks too busy to relax.

Whatever happened to relaxation and enjoying the company of friends? The Christmas rat race takes away so much joy. Then the bills come in at the end of January, ruining more happiness. There are times when I wish I could be left alone, like the man in the song.

Hear "I Am a Rock" here.

People also eat too much at this time of year. They also invite their own friends rather than the poor and disabled folks among them. As Jesus noted in Luke 6:32-34 (KJV), "For if ye love them which love you, what thank have ye? for sinners also love those that love them. And if ye do good to them which do good to you, what thank have ye? for sinners also do even the same. "And if ye lend to them of whom ye hope to receive, what thank have ye? for sinners also lend to sinners, to receive as much again."

I personally would rather stay home and relax but others feel isolated while everybody else is celebrating. My living room is filled with many wonderful movies which I haven't even seen yet. I also love petting my beloved bunny, Deborah and she enjoys being petted.

So, what's your opinion of the song and what I wrote? Please leave me a comment. I also hope you will have a joyful and restful Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment on this blog. All reasonable comments will be published.