Saturday 2 September 2017

Saturday Song: Big Brother and the Holding Company, "Piece of My Heart"

This song always reminds me of September, 1968. I was back at Jericho Hill School for the Deaf and Blind, facing three more months of misery. My only comfort was a pocket radio which my parents bought me.

With some songs, I even remember the moment I first heard them. As I trudged up the grassy hill to the dorm after lunch one sunlit Saturday, this great song came blasting out of the speaker. I immediately loved it.

Hear "Piece of My Heart" here.

The woman in the song sure had a difficult time loving her two-timing man. She adored him but he was being an inconsiderate jerk to her. Sadly, this happens all too often.

In our Christian walk, we frequently encounter people who need plenty of forgiveness. Old habits die hard and we all slip back into them easily. Holding grudges is one bad habit we need to ditch immediately or sooner.

Neither is this a new problem. Matthew 18:21 (KJV) says, "Then came Peter to him, and said, Lord, how oft shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? till seven times?"

But Jesus replied in Luke 17:4 (KJV), "And if he trespass against thee seven times in a day, and seven times in a day turn again to thee, saying, I repent; thou shalt forgive him." In other words, there is no limit.

And why should we keep forgiving difficult siblings in Christ, apart from the fact that Jesus said so? 2 Corinthians 2:7 (KJV)explains,  "So that contrariwise ye ought rather to forgive him, and comfort him, lest perhaps such a one should be swallowed up with overmuch sorrow."

So, what do you think of this song and what I wrote? Please comment in the box below. But if you'd rather not, have a great weekend anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment on this blog. All reasonable comments will be published.